Saturday, May 21, 2011

Eulogy to a stranger

 

Dear stranger,

we have never talked before. Neither do I know your name. I did see you but you would definitely have not seen me. I saw your perfectly clean shiny bike, your perfectly ironed shirt neatly tucked in to your trousers. Even the death throes did not hide the fact that you did most of the things very well and perfectly. Even the way the accident opened your head was almost clinical. The newly laid black tar road spotless under you.

 

The city bus parked half-hazardly just a few feet from your body made it clear whose fault it really was.

 

You must have been a caring son, a loving father and an understanding husband, a trusted friend and a smiling stranger. All that brought to the end by one mistake. I do not want to say that the end was unnecessary and tragic. It is just Karma and it happened because it was supposed to happen this way.

What else is life but a dewdrop within a dewdrop, a dream within a dream? And you might have dreamt well. At least my religious belief says that death is not a full stop. It is merely a reset and you get a chance to do every thing all over again and again. What did yours say?

I definitely imagine your near ones’ uncontrollable grief. No words can describe or comfort them, at least I do not have those words. so you are the only one I can address. Because you would have already gone to the next step in your life and all this would not matter much to you. Does it?

I think there is only one way to know, and I will know when I will know. There is still time for that. There is still time I dream this dream within dream.

My unseen, unmet friend. Adieu. Well lived and all the best for the next turn. Let’s hope we meet in these cycles again. Would we remember then?

Who knows?

1 comment:

Dinesh Sonsale said...

Most of us will have similar feelings when we see such accident. These are unnessary death which can be avoided if we take care of basic rules of sharing public roads. It is a human who does such mistakes and others pay for it. I will not leave it with Karma so I will agree with feeling and disagree with conclusion.