Friday, April 05, 2013

(Exeunt stage left, end act3 scene1 ...)

Fri 5 April is going to be my last day at Microsoft. I did have a blast in last 7 years and enjoyed every moment of it.
From this point on, this gets horribly cheesy and sentimental. I do not have any advices to give as well as any confessions to make or even axes to grind.

So the sane would stop here and make and keep peace ;).


Ok, so you were warned:)
So long and thanks for all the fish!!
The time I spent with MS has been one of the most productive part of my career and life thus far. I have worked with incredibly smart people, picked up large number of technical and soft skills..
Spread myself across different teams with small hacks of their own in the culture. Saw release cycles shrink and methodologies change. For example, my first  release was SFU in Vista which was an OS release maybe after a 6 years or more gap and now we are talking about quarterly release of features. Did stay back for nights together, pulled all nighters with "this is the end"(doors) playing in the back ground as well as as well as spent time mindlessly watching youtube videos of best stand up comics to while away time.
It was not all at my desk either, I reached my peaks as a volley ball player :), changed teams, had regular fights disguised as design discussions and always made a point to ensure that every one knows my mental age - all of five years.

Talking about work life balance and astounding feats of efficiency:  I also added ten plus KGs, bought an apartment,my two kids were born during this time.

But through all this, I always knew that this will end at some point in time.but I knew that my stint was MS was always supposed to end. The days flew  by and the time to make a decision has come. The reason more or less being this: :)




Some lines from one of my most fav Hindi film also explains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCWonHf6SvI&feature=youtu.be&t=45s

But I never thought it will be this sudden and will get over so soon. It looks just yesterday when i got down at Hyderabad airport and the heat burnt me n the face (BTW this is some thing that I won't be missing. Do enjoy your time in the sun ppl ...). But the call of the wild beckons, my clock has run its time and it is time to force reboot my machine again as it is running slower and slower.  The building and furniture being younger than you is a definite sign and I am responding to it :)
Though this looks relatively simple thing to do, this is dicey and destabilizing enough move for me to hear the ringing in the ears on and off, and I need all the good wishes as I can get.
So fair maidens and stout hearted codermen of MS, fare thee well ;) See you again in the after life. It will be an honor to cross paths with you worthy folks again. It has indeed been a privilege. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you returning that Windows phone ?
bij

Anonymous said...

Good luck

Sweet Kandy said...

Nope bij, I am not returning the phone. I am going to do things to it, it will rue ever being a windows phone :)