Sunday, September 28, 2014

Tools:Version Control:Open Kimono

The most important thing in open source culture is the concept of "Open Kimono".
You need to show your real self, what you are with out any inhibitions. While I agree in principle to this, the thing that I want is control over when I "open my kimono" (sheesh!!)

And I need a public repository which gives me a chance to do it. And of course I want it without having to pay for it.

Github is definitely the first choice as every one who is some one is contributing there. And if I get there, I will definitely release the final version of the things that I am trying out there.

 But it does not at this point  have a free private repository, and I desperately need it

I am known to crash the machines and disks irrespective of the code that I am planning to write. So I also need a repository where I just keep my temporary changes and use it to sync code on different machines and even at different location.

Because of this, Visual Studio is definitely the choice of Version Control for me.

(Disclosure: My previous job with Microsoft I had a chance of working with Visual Studio team. And I am intimately aware of how things are designed and they work. So there is going to be some subconscious bias towards it).

But it solves most of my issues and also has some benefits rarely found in other solutions. So Visual Studio Online it is.
In further posts I will try and get to other issues I want to fix on my hobby coding project (also known as my secret plan to take over the world) and how I got around to solving those.

If while surfing the dark bowels of the webs, you hit this spot and have some opinion - expert or otherwise - feel free to share it.

No comments: