Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Hello world!!

My third day at EMC and it has already been a roller coaster experience. There have been a lot of things that are unexpected and hence even more pleasant. Some of the things are shocking and even when such things should be expected are irritating for the short term.
But I am here and I am loving every moment of it. right now I am sitting in a cubicle and this is a change from my earlier job. The buzz is really heartening. Occasional snippet of Kannada tell me how much I liked hearing it in my earlier stint in BLR. The Bangalore variey of the language is really endearing. This time I want to really learn so that I can understand and enjoy it even more .

This is my first post from my laptop. Something which I am able to do after three days of joining this company. I have always heard about companies where people change code,check in and roll out to production on their first day.Such companies exist. But because of the nature of the domain we exist in, as well as size of the org, this definitely does not happen here. Since joining I filled forms, submitted documents, resubmitted them, showed people signatures on different forms from HR and got different things as gifts.  A bunch of people joined with me and the joining process, though tedious, looks pretty stream lined. Nearly hundred people joined in last two weeks, everyone more or less started working almost on their second day. But you just fall out of step with process and then beware of the effects. As it happens with a stream lined process, any thing that does not fit the process takes extra ordinary amount of effort and time. And I have natural talent that such things happen with me.

But first the thing I liked the most: I liked the large number of empty spaces as well as I really dig the facade of the building.
WP_20130408_002[1].jpg
"A very bad photograph of the gorgeous facade of the building"
 Here are some more from a search engine :) : 















WP_20130409_001[1].jpg"A lot of empty spaces with breath taking views"

Quality of the workspace is better than my earlier org which has really been a pleasant surprise. The coffee is better, cafeteria is better stuffed. 

But as I am lucky enough to draw all the cosmic rays of distrubance. It is a talent I have from a long time and I keep exceeding myself every where I go. The same thing happened this time also. One of the most important person you'd meet is the photo ID printer person. Also known as the key-maker.
(and as importantly hidden as the keymaker from matrix - behind the reception in the basement)
"I am still preparing your ID card"

As the disturbance in the field caused by my presence, he happened to throw away my form without actually printing it. Another interesting thing I found here is the interesting checks and balances. I have to give "form X - 100" signed by "P Q and R" to pick up a thing "Y".
After a lot of concentration I get all the pre-reqs to collect the card just to be confidently questioned on my existence in the company. Finally this got solved as the gentleman found his mistake and retrieved my crumpled form quickly from debris.

This cool, confident and kind smile has been the major companion of my interaction with the non tech staff till now.

Even the emperor at IT,  placed appropriately in the farthest corner on the top floor showed that. With the same kind time he told me "you will get your machine in one month". I was shocked. I ventured: " Did you say one day" - *smile* "One month". "Did you mean a week?" - "One month".

"When I say one month, it is one Month".

But then I talked to the HR and admin and things worked out pretty well after that. Now I have a machine and a team and looking forward to my first interactions with my team and especially looking at the code :).

So with some interesting twists, my rendezvous with EMC is well and truely on its way :)

No comments: